Friday, August 1, 2014

The Unknown Variable

"Ministry? Where do I sign up? Think about the excitement! Think about all of the wonderful things we will see and experience! What joys are ahead of us! I can't wait!"

I don't know know about any of you, but I thought like that. I was excited to join the gospel ministry team! I was young and enthusiastic. I remember thinking how I was going to change the world around me! That is until I found out about the unknown variable...


I guess I was kind of simplistic in my ideology;

I was lost and hopelessly in need of saving 
A Savior seeking to restore lives
+
An open heart 
_____________________________
Changed Life 

My first crack at real ministry was in a homeless shelter. I came smack dab face to face with the unknown variable. The first couple of years didn't weigh that heavy on me. Soon though, the heavy weight sunk deep. How come no one told me? Did they tell you? How come no one prepared me? Did they prepare you? The unknown variable...

Heartbreak

Soon I found out that having to be privy to the choices of others would not be what I signed up for, but what I would have to learn to endure as a pastor and a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment