Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Living in the Shadow of Someone Greater

Recently one of my childhood icons passed away. James Brian Hellwig, AKA The Ultimate Warrior died April 8th 2014. Memories of the Warrior are vivid growing up with the WWF. Yet there was another competitor that shined above all others, one who would become the largest household name for wrestling... Hulk Hogan! The Warrior, though great (and my personal favorite) would live in the shadows of Hulk-A-Mania. I have a Hulk in my life... how about you?

I believe The Ultimate Warrior was a hulk in his own right. He was just as electrifying in the ring as another wrestler of his time, including Hogan. Through the years he and the Hulk would be best of friends or best competitors. Yet, it never seemed The Warrior could get out of the shadow of one of the "Greatest Wrestlers In History". Soon the Warrior's persona slowly died off and Hulk-A-Mania went on for generations to come.

Often I feel like the Warrior. I feel as though no matter how hard I try, no matter what battles I win or lose I am standing in the shadow of someone who can and has done it better, faster, and with more precision then I will ever be able to do it. I go at it with all I have, all of my heart, passion, prayer, knowledge, and guidance from The Lord and yet my Hogan always steps into the ring ready to "show me how it's done."

Now I don't want to harp on the "Hogans" of this world because without them we would never dream to excel beyond them. The "Hogans" of this world are a great thing! They pave the way for new and excited "Warriors" to come along. The "Hogans" in our life can be great teachers and mentors sharing their experience in success as well as failures. I truly love my "Hogans".

What I don't love is "Hulk-A-Mania". What I mean by that is I am a "Warrior" and therefore cannot do what the Hulk does... I'm not a Hogan. What would it look like if in the 80s The Hulk dropped out of the wrestling scene and The Ultimate Warrior picked up and tried carrying Hulk-A-Mania? Awkward! He would constantly be trying to please Hogan fans never truly being The Hulk.

Though the Warrior lived in the shadow of Hogan, he was The Ultimate Warrior. He knew it and so did Hogan. There was a mutual respect there. The Hulk didn't expect the Warrior to do things his way or become the torch barer of Hulk-A-Mania. When they wrestled together they were a great team, when they wrestled each other they were not enemies, but great competitors. They were different athletes with different followings playing in the same sport. (yes, I called wrestling a sport...).

My biggest problem isn't the Hogan in my life, it's me (The Warrior) always looking at the Hogans and not measuring myself up. It's me trying to carry the "Hulk-A-Mania" torch not wanting to hurt my friendship with The Hulk by being The Ultimate Warrior and not a "Little Hulk". I guess sometimes I just don't want to get in the ring with my Hogan because I'm intimidated by his "Hulk-A-Mania", but The Warrior wouldn't have been the Warrior if he would have never gotten in the ring... win, lose, or draw.   

1 comment:

  1. Man! I'm a Warrior fan too. Love this post! Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete