Thursday, December 13, 2012

Davy Jone's Locker

 What has...
No backbone so that it can fit into just about any space.
When threatened, it changes color in order to blend with surroundings.
Uses a smoke screen to escape from any who would confront it.
Has many arms and if one gets removed,it just grows back.
Loves to squeeze the enemy and paralyze them before ending their life.
Has been know to turn on it's own kind.
Is poisonous in all of it's different species.
Has been known to build walls around it to hide it's true intentions. 

Though these are some traits of the octopus, I truly wish that was what I was describing here. To my dismay, I am describing something much more hideous, more treacherous, more cunning, more poisonous than any sea creature from down below. What is it I am describing, you ask...

I am describing what the Bible calls "My Flesh". One of my teachers used the description of  an octopus as our flesh and I have never been the same since! So what are some of the flesh issues I deal with? For me, it's insecurity, fear, jealousy, anger, hatred, envy, strife, pride, and criticism just to name a few. These fleshly mechanisms, just like an octopus, have no back bone, fit into just about any space in my life, when threatened they change colors to blend with my surroundings, smoke screens at every confrontation, when I have cut one off there are still seven more to deal with while the one cut off grows back! My flesh loves to squeeze both me and those around me to the point of being paralyzed. It has caused me to turn on my own and made me very poisonous. And the walls it has built are to my shame. Am I alone in this? I think not.

 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these,
~Gala. 5:19-20 

What's worse is, at times I "feel" like none other than Davy Jones himself! As if I am master Octopi! Now, I know enough identity theology to know who I am in Christ... so please don't try and fix me! I put "feel" in quotes for a reason. I am better today at recognizing this beast then I was just a couple years ago. But that's the thing! I really wish I could just chop the head off of this devil fish and be done with it! And for you spiritually elites out there... well, let's not let my flesh get all up in this article. 

Look, the point is this... I struggle with my flesh. There are days when I am an emotional basket case. There are days that I want to give up altogether. There are days that I want to let everyone have a piece of my mind. Sometimes I let this sneaky little poisonous predator get the best of me, some days I let it get the best of others through me, but I don't like it! I don't want to be Davy Jones and I don't want to be held prisoner by Davy Jones! 

Guess What...

I struggle with my fleshly issues!

God Help Me. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent writing! I enjoyed how you described the similarities of the "devil fish" and our own flesh. Thanks for sharing...I deal with this, too....and I don't like it either.

    ReplyDelete