Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Price of Comparison

Sometimes in the shadow of others we can have the tendency to feel small and insignificant. Whether it's in our personal life or in our ministries, feeling insignificant can be the deflation of the largest hearts.

Yet, so many times we get caught in the feeling of it all and miss the eternal truth of the ministries we are called to. If your feelings have cruel intentions of tricking you into feeling insignificant in ministry, you are not alone. Let's take a journey past our feelings though....


I have a horrible character defect that plagues me. I will compare myself to others and the ministries The Lord has me involved in with other ministries that seem larger and more effective. Standing in the shadow of others can make you feel miniscule and unimportant. The danger here is we begin to believe these things to be true about ourselves and our ministries. Soon the fatigue of comparison is the price we pay and we begin to get bankrupt, burnt out, and bewildered.

It's amazing that in all of the solar system the largest sphere is a hot burning ball of gas! All the planets revolve around this massive collection of fire and power. Bursting with energy, the sun provides for the other planets (especially Earth). But if Earth was the Sun it wouldn't be Earth.

I yearn to have a firey, powerful, hot ministry that is exploding with energy. That's not a bad thing, right? But as I yearn... I am reminded that there is life on Earth. Though the Sun might not need Earth, Earth needs the Sun. God is at work on my planet of ministry, no matter how small I might think or feel it is.

The price of comparison for me is I miss out on what God is doing right in front of me as I am watching those who are so far ahead of me. So, if you have struggled with the price of comparison, you are not alone. This pastor, and many more I am sure, have and are struggling with the same issue. The beautiful part is, no matter if your "Sun Size" or "Pluto Size" our ministries were created with purpose in our "Souler System" of large and small capacities. Whether it's one person we minister to or one thousand, We are called! Be encouraged

You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment