Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Family Failure

It really seems that a "prophet isn't welcome in his hometown". I can speak to so many about the Gospel and Jesus, but when it comes to the struggles of my family members it seems I am most ineffective. My mom is a non-practicing Episcopalian, my sister a Unitarian, and I almost certain my brother is agnostic. With my mother it's a "personal" thing. With my sister it's an "open" thing. And with my brother it's just a thing. I know all the "right things" to say to each of them, but it is never received how I thought it sounded.

My ineffectiveness has moved to knew levels. My brother is in jail. All he asks is that I write him. I have no good excuses, I just tell myself "I'll do it tomorrow". I know what it feels like to be in jail, to not have anyone write you. When it comes to my own brother it "feels" like the pen is 100 pounds. I guess, for me it seems, I'm still the big brother that always beat him up. Now, I'm not sure which one of us that effects most.

I also have a nephew who comes from a broken home. It is almost the same home atmosphere I had growing up. He is dealing with so many issues. I struggle with the fact that we don't connect more. I know what he is looking for, the same thing I was... a father figure and I'm not sure I can give him that due to the fact we are so disconnected. But I have to try, right?

And in the midst of all of this... I am a Pastor. A pastor that can be used of God to deliver a dynamic message, counsel people who are struggling and teach a plethora of studies and programs. Yet, in the light of my family it seems that so much tension, ineffectiveness, and discouragement is at play.

Now I don't want to make this out like it is my families fault. I know that I hold an equal, if not larger share in the spiritual disconnect. Giving an honest evaluation of my motives and insecurities I tell you that my motives are wrong in that I want to "prove" something to them by revealing some great truth in their life. My insecurity is always that they will reject not just what I am telling them, but reject me. Most of the time my insecurities out weigh my motives pure or impure and I guess there in lies the problem.

5 comments:

  1. Between Faith and FailureFebruary 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

    I am glad this has helped. It helped me just getting it out! It seems that admitting these things in the "professional" world (even as a pastor) ridicule would be the least of our worries. P.I.L. NJ keep checking back and commenting... it's good to know somebody, other than myself reads these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a true master of the quill! This reading was the so absorbing! Write more and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Between Faith and FailureSeptember 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

      Thank you. It has been a while since I have shared on this site, not because I don't still find myself "somewhere inbetween" though. Will try and update soon.

      Delete